Wednesday, September 21, 2011

More Projects- DONE!

We have been in need of a new dining room table for a very long time. Finally my Mom found one for free that a friend was giving away. It was a good, sturdy table I just wasn't a big fan of the color. It was that out of date golden oak color with a wood looking laminate top so, we decided to paint it. It should be easy right? This thing was a pain in the butt! I decided to use spray pain because the legs were turned and it would be easier to get good coverage without any drips. They did great, but the table top was a pain. Bad coverage, the spray clear coat sealer went on blotchy and was rough and would scrape right off so we had to sand it down again and use a brush on polyurethane sealer. It worked better though it left brush marks and small bubbles. If I had to do it again I would add floetrol. It's supposed to minimize brush strokes and bubbles. Anyway, I liked how it turned out and it is Much bigger than our old one. Love it.

This was the waterfall dresser that Carla gave me that I decided to re-do. BEFORE Here is the After-I think I really like it. I got the hardware at a garage sale for super cheap but I didn't get enough to have them all be the same. I think I like it kind of mixed up like that though. Anyway. I've learned a lot about painting from these two projects and would do some things differently like: I'd use an oil based paint on this dresser instead of a latex water based. The latex stays rubbery and a little bit sticky but oil based doesn't and is easier to scuff. Also, using a paint condition helps minimize brush strokes and covers evenly. Penetrol added to oil based paint helps eliminate brush strokes as well.



No comments: