Wednesday, November 12, 2008

In Gratitude for Sleepless Nights

Recent events in the lives of some of my friends and family members have made me reflect somewhat on the things I have to be grateful for. Some have lost babies, others have discovered that they cannot concieve children of their own. Others have given birth to children with severe physical and mental dissabilities. I also frequently refer back to Elder Wirthlin's talk in General Conference in October "Come What May and Love it" as well as President Monson's talk; "Finding Joy in the Journey."
All of these events and reflections have helped me to see the joy in the everyday disasters in life and to enjoy my children more. Let me share a few things that I am grateful for.

I am grateful for sleepless nights spent with my crying baby, because it means he is breathing and warm. I'm grateful for those horribly uncomfortable 9 months, because it means there is another life to live. When my child has temper tantrums, it's okay, because it means she has an independent and fertile mind. And those messes that we are always cleaning up? Well, It means that my children have healthy little bodies that are mobile. When my daughter swats me on the bum then runs away, I laugh, because she has inherited her Daddy's sense of humor. I'm thankful for beautiful children that aren't always perfect. But at the end of the day, when my son smiles his beautiful smile, and my little girl gives me a wet little kiss, I'm grateful that for here and now, Heavenly Father has lent me an angel to remind me that we are all in His hands.

3 comments:

The Funny Farm said...

Thanks for putting things into perspective for me. I will try to remember that when Lemur destroys the house, when Steelhead and Martin make faces at me when I reprimand them, when Penguin and Bee get emotional over bent up stickers and missing bubblegum, when Porcupine and Monkey drive me absolutely INSANE because they run through the house chasing each other with their muddy boots on and when I'm throwing up morning after morning after morning... and nights and afternoons...

Palmer's Paradise said...

Amen! and thank you. We love you guys!

Erin said...

Our sacrament meeting talks this past Sunday were on that Elder Wirthlin talk and were so comforting. I need to get it out and study it more thoroughly. We're so blessed to have the gospel that helps us keep hard times in perspective.

Have you seen the mission blog? If not you can link to it through my blog. I'm sure they would love to add your blog link to it. :)